Started the new year has © Master Yoda
This is the time of the year where people share their goals, New Year resolutions, and dreams. No, seriously, every FIRE blogger writes about the importance of setting goals and share their New Year resolutions.
And hey, I’m ain’t different by any means. Recently I wrote a post about converting your dreams to your goals. And today I’d like to write about my personal goals for 2018. It will be easier for me to be more honest with myself about either achieving or failing them, and easier to track them for myself.
Without further ado let me talk about my personal goals.
The Wheel Of Life
Zig Ziglar used to talk about this amazing concept called “The Wheel Of Life”. According to Mr. Ziglar, this wheel has 7 independent areas that inflate separately. In order to have the wheel rolling, you have to maintain every of its area.
Having even one area deflated will cause problems: you will have to spend more energy keeping the pace, or you will have to slow down. The more areas are deflated (not taken care of) the more problem you will have in your life. If you want to have a good and quality life, you have to work on all the 7 areas.
Being an evangelical, Bible-believing Christian I believe that Spiritual life is the most important, at least it’s important for me. I am a brand new Christian and still at the beginning of my spiritual life, and these are my goals:
- Read the Bible every day – What an amazing about it is, people read it for the whole of the life and every time find something new, isn’t it amazing? I strongly believe this book has all the instruction people need and shows us how to live the purposeful and wonderful life.
- Study 4 books from the New Testament – Reading the Bible is important, but to know and understand the context, the meaning, and historical circumstances is more important. Otherwise, there’s a big chance to follow a wrong doctrine.
- Start a YouTube channel (English) – One of the reasons I started this blog was to improve my Egnlish. I came to the States in May 2013 without speaking any English, and starting this blog was one of the tools I’ve been using to improve my English. After thinking for a while I decided to open a YouTube channel and keep it at least for a year. This channel thing is a huge step out from my comfort zone. I have no idea what I am going to do with this channel, but I know that I HAVE TO do it.
- Visit a Meetup – this goal is a perfect example of killing two birds with a stone. Visiting meetup(s) I will be able to find new, like-minded friends, and improve my speaking abilities.
- Fly to Kazakhstan – I was born in Kazakhstan, at that time it was a part of USSR. And now this land is known as Borat’s homeland. I haven’t been in Kazakhstan since 1996 and I have a lot of family members there. I will fly to Kazakhstan and will tell them you love Borat.
- Take a vacation with family (winter) – my wife and I were thinking about several vacations for 2018 but due to some circumstances (I will write about them later), we will have to limit ourselves with just one vacation.
One of the easiest area of the wheel for me 🙂
- Invest 15% of the gross income – we have made a decision to limit our investment to 15% and focus on our Downpayment fund.
- Contribute $50K to the Downpayment fund – it will be challenging and interesting, we’re still considering buying a house without taking a mortgage. Yes, it will limit our choice but it will open a lot of opportunities for us. And yes, I know that we are crazy and so on. You are not the only one who thinks this way.
- Increase the Net Worth by 50% – Our net worth at the beginning of 2018 was $202,565.50 and increasing it by 50% will lead us to $300K.
- Lose 15lbs – On January 1st, 2018 my weight was 202.2lbs (91,72 kg) which is more than I’d like to have. And it means a lot of exercises and food choices.
- Exercise 3 times a week – I don’t use GYM, I use parks with parallel bars and benches. That’s all I need.
- Run 2 times a week – in addition to body weight workouts I have to use cardio exercises, at least two times a week. Due to my knee problem, I might have to change “run” to “cycle” or anything else.
- Learn MySQL – I know basic MySQL, I mean regular things a developer needs to know. But I have to learn it deeper.
- Learn Swift – The same would be true for Swift.
- Learn Java – I’ve been thinking about taking Java class for a long time. Now it’s time to take a real action.
- Finish Python + Robot Framework course – I’ve started this course on Udemy and it’s amazing.
- Read at least 12 non-fiction books – and I’m talking about books in English of course. I hope to read more than 12 books but this is the minimum I have to read by the end of the year.
- Write a review of each book – and not only read these books but write a review of each of them.
What about you? Have you set up your goals for 2018?